THE Palaszczuk Government has delayed the start of its much-vaunted container deposit scheme by five months.
Environment Minister Leeanne Enoch announced the delay in a statement on Wednesday night.
She said it was as a result of stakeholders wanting more time to ensure problems with the NSW scheme were not mirrored here.
It will now start on November 1 rather than July 1, she said.
"While our scheme is not run along the same lines as that in New South Wales, it's clear there are valuable lessons to be learned from the problematic introduction of their scheme," Ms Enoch said.
She said not-for-profit company Container Exchange had been appointed as the "product responsibility organisation" to run the refund scheme in Queensland.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.